Saturday, January 9, 2021

Best of 2020 Book Edition

 I love to read!  I've always loved to read!  When I turned 16 and began having to drive places I didn't know my way to many places I'd been to many times.  When I was a passenger in a car I usually had my nose in a book so I often needed directions to places.

I joke with people when they ask me for book recommendations that they have no idea what they are getting themselves into.  

In 2020 I read 95 books and I read a lot of different genres and here are some of my favorites!

Here are my top 10 fiction, top 10 nonfiction and some special categories I made up.

In no particular order here are my top 10 fiction:

Midnight at the Blackbird Cafe by Heather Webber

American Royals by Katharine McGee

On the Come Up by Angie Thomas

The Imperfects by Amy Meyerson

Anxious People by Fredrik Backman (This was by far my favorite fiction of they year!)

Bookshop of Yesterdays by Amy Meyerson

Beauty of Your Face by Sahar Mustafah

8 Perfect Murders by Peter Swanson (his books never disappoint)

Rodham by Curtis Sittenfeld (It was very interesting to imagine what Hilary's life would have looked like if she hadn't married Bill.)

The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek by Kim Michele Richardson

Top 10 non-fiction

Born Survivors by Wendy Holden Books about the holocaust are so haunting and this one was hard to read!

Stories I Tell My Friends by Rob Lowe He's like a fine wine that gets better with age!

Escape by Carolyn Jessop

Just Mercy by Bryan Stevenson. If you haven't read this please do.  Also don't think if you've seen the movie that you should skip the book.  The book is much more in depth.

Sisters First by Jenna Bush Hager.  So much fun to read about the Bush Family!

Untamed by Glennon Doyle. Yes you should give into the hype!

The New Jim Crow by Michelle Alexander.  This should be required reading for everyone!

Beyond Charlottesville by Terry McAuliffe This could also be it's own special category of "who I'd love to see on the presidential ticket in 2024

Running for My Life by Lopez Lemong.  I heard Lopez on a podcast I listen to and I could have listened to him for hours!

A Higher Loyalty by James Comey

In Cold Blood by Truman Capote.  A good friend of mine suggested this book.  It was haunting and terrifying and gave me awful dreams!  Worth the time and the bad dreams though!

Individual Categories:

Most depressing book of the year that kept me awake a lot: We Need to Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver

Most controversial book that I'm glad I read:  America Dirt by Jeanine Cummins.

Best new book in a series I love: The Silent Wife by Karin Slaughter

Best re-read When Life Gives You Lululemons by Lauren Weisberger Part of the Devil Wears Prada series but it reads like a standalone.

Re-read that I apparently didn't pay attention to the first time: Fried Green Tomatoes by Fannie Flagg.  Somehow I totally missed that there was a romantic relationship between Ruth and Idgie.  

Best "if you're a woman and wonder why your iphone doesn't fit in your hand" read: Invisible Women: Data Bias in a World Made for Men by Caroline Criado Perez.

Most colorful authors who wrote bios that I loved reading: 

Me by Elton John

Beautiful On The Inside by Adam Rippon

I love both of these men and loved their books!

And lastly the book that had me totally fooled into thinking it was non-fiction was Daisy Jones and the Six by Taylor Jenkins Reid.  I was sure this was a true story to the embarrassing end that I tried to look up their music on itunes!  


No comments:

Post a Comment